Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Unique Style


I am one of those moms that lets her kids pick the clothes that they wear everyday. I think that they should be able to have their own sense of style. Of course I'm not real big on style myself, so maybe that's why I don't care as much. I also found it's easier than arguing about it everyday- I'm picking my battles. It's been real fun to see the outfits that my girls have chosen to wear. My oldest, Parly, has really gotten into it lately. She wears skirts with her jeans under them-it actually looks cute. And she took a belt out of one of her capris and uses it as a sash around her neck- again it looks cute... definitely not something I would do or wear. But it is fun to see her experimenting.
Well my 3 year old has been watching her sister and wants to do the same. She wants to wear 2 shirts like Parly (Parly wears a long sleeve under a short sleeve..very common), well Kate doesn't quite understand the concept and puts 2 short sleeved shirts on. Cute. I also love how matching to a 3 year old is flowers and flowers or stripes and stripes. So Kate will come down in a flowered shirt with flowered shorts, each having different colors and sizes, even kinds of flowers, "But they both have flowers, mom." See matching.





Here is my 3 year old, Kate, posing for the camera. In this picture she is actually wearing her older sister's clothes. And yes the hair band was also her idea. Adorable...right?

5 comments:

Shayne said...

Very cute, she must have an amazingly handsome father.

Sarah said...

So do you let Parly go to school in any and all of her concoctions? In first grade I thought it would be really cool to wear tap shoes at school (I never took tap but got a pair as hand-me-downs from a friend and just loved the sound and the fact that they tied with a big ribbon). Unbeknownst to my mom, I took them to school and promptly changed into them. After the first girl (Kristen Koerner, I'm sure) said, "Hey, those are tap shoes! Why are you wearing them??" I completely denied it and gingerly walked down the thankfully-carpeted hall. I changed out of them as soon as I had a chance. It sounds like Parly has more of a flair and not just a strange obsession with a sound.
Kate is very cute -- she must have an amazingly beautiful mom -- it doesn't matter what she wears.

Brooke said...

Miles is very particular too. I can't even suggest anything unless it fits into his standards:

1) for any particular outfit, all articles of clothing must be monochromatic or close to it, including socks (here he is in green with harry in orange)

2) preferred colors are red, black, navy, yellow, and green

3) solids only (but if it's laundry day, he'll settle for a striped shirt, as long as the dominant color goes with the motif)

Sometimes he likes to dress Harry too. The only rules I made are that dress-ups and costumes can only be worn inside the house (except on Halloween and special occasions).

Our problem lately is that I have let him wear some pants so long that he is now used to ankle-length. Anything that covers his socks when he is wearing shoes is considered "too big." Oh well, floods are cutting edge, right?

Brooke said...

By the way, I love how Kate is watching Parly so closely. That is adorable! And tell Parly I used to wear jeans under my skirts (though I might not have looked as cute as she does).

Amy said...

what a cutie pie. her parents must have amazingly beautiful friends. my kids prefer that I pick their clothes; really... for the most part, they don't really care. I guess that's not the norm though -- maybe I am grateful -- or maybe I wish they would express their own sense of style? not sure yet.

sarah,
it was kristen koerner FOR SURE.

brooke,
it was fun to see a picture of your beautiful boys! they have your awesome brown eyes.