I'm trying to decide what I want my children to ask Santa for for Christmas. Yes, you read that right I like to decide what they want... I do this nicely of course with a little persuasion...and some sneakiness. Gasp! Terrible, right? No, not really. They are none the wiser and are as happy as could be on Christmas morning, since they are getting what they/I wanted. This couldn't be any more win-win....until of course they grow up and realize I have been brainwashing them their whole childhood. Ooops!?
So... does anyone have any great ideas?
Side thought: Some of you may be thinking Christmas lists now, in November? Too late or too early? I'm not sure which of you think which. So I put both. Well, anyway...Shayne and I like to have the girls write Santa a letter asking for 1 item around this time of year, so later if they change their minds (after we have already purchased the item) we say, "Oh, maybe you can ask for that next year. Santa has already gotten your letter and has been busy making that toy for you." Yep. Great parenting tip! No more panicking a week before Christmas.
9 comments:
oh.... SERIOUSLY -- that is exactly what I do. I bought all of Hai's gifts at Fam. Dollar this year (they were slightly more than a dollar folks; but not much) it is a lot of fun telling HER what SHE wants for christmas :) Ty, on the other hand... yep it's trickier. much much trickier. he wants a gamecube. what does he think -- santa's made of $$$?!?!? ;)
great tip on the letter with the one item. I love it. but what do you do when the one item is a gamecube????
Great ideas. Always. I learn so much from reading your blog Daisy. I like the letter to Santa idea with the one item. I'm going to get going on that one.
So church was a little different yesterday. It will take some time to adjust. Hope I see you around sometime. I have been slowly getting back to running. When I feel like I can keep up with you and Kari I'll give you the call!
Amy- How about recall? JK. That's a good question. I think our girls subconsciously know that their Santa is cheap.
I think you should settle for a record. Holidays of '07 without spending a dime. You already mastered Halloween. Now, if we can just convince the girls to want things they already have.
By the way, Parly has already learned this trick from you. Like last year when she talked Kate into wanting that "cool" pink fan to go in Parly and Clayre's room. That way Parly didn't have to waste her one present. Genius. I could learn a lot from that girl.
This reminds me of Daisy deciding which boy was going to ask her to the next dance in high school. Sure enough, she worked her magic, and the boy asked her out. It's good to know that the talent is transferrable to motherhood.
dang it all. you people are the cheap masters:) You could teach me a thing or two.
I'm usually done shopping in November but this year my kids don't even know what they want!
You just reminded me of something to blog about.
P.S. I'm putting you on my list for best book blog. I'm glad you post what you've read because I hate looking for a new book to read. Thanks!
Its a good strategy. And its just in time.... after thanksgiving day shopping is NEXT WEEK...... not that I'm counting down or anything.
If you want a big bang for all of your girls- you probably have this but... I was at a store where they had a little playroom and the costco pink retro kitchen set was there. Mia loved it!!! I checked it out online and it is really cute. They are getting more restocked at costco in 1 to 2 days....hmmm $139
Post a Comment