Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lazy mom pulls through.

So Parly had to do a report on an animal for school. I was gone when she was assigned this, so my little sister and her husband stepped up. They talked her out of doing it on a dog or a cheetah saying everyone would choose those and convinced her to choose the Three-toed Sloth. Well she got busy and found a lot of cool facts about this sloth with the help of her very eager and internet savvy Uncle Christian. Then she transferred all the information onto a poster board, by writing row after row of sentences, leaving a little space for pictures. While I was away in Boston, I received a voice mail from Parls telling me all about her report and said that I would have some good ideas for her...I guess my mom told her about my history of creative school projects.

So, I mapped out a plan for Parly's poster and then told it to her. She was a little sad that she had already written out a whole poster, but she thought the new poster sounded funner and wanted to do it. Here is how it turned out:

She wrote all the cool facts on the leaves. And the sloth hanging from the tree is made out of fuzzy brown paper to make it more life like. Good job, Parly!

Well Clayre watched Parly doing her project, thought it looked fun, so she decided to do one herself. She choose a deer. Shayne was so loving that Clayre wanted to do a project that wasn't even assigned...because it meant more work for me. I hate more work! But I couldn't really tell her that she can't learn and share information about a deer just for fun.... could I? No, not even I, the laziest mom ever. Here's how Clayre's turned out:

Note: the small deer on the bottom, again made out of the fuzzy paper, but Clayre added the white dots and white belly herself. Genius. Also her information she wrote around the poster so some of it ended upside-down. I asked her how people were going to read it and she said that they would just turn the board around. Genius. So cute. Good job, Clayre.
A++++ all around!

15 comments:

Emily said...

Clayre pulls through, yet again...Parly's report was cute, too (in a weird three-toed sloth sort of way). We need a mom like you out here. I'm pretty sure I have never been involved in ANY of Lily's reports.

sadie said...

Darn. I kept hoping to scroll down and see Kate and Maggie's projects. Funny, but more work for you, I guess. If you're not careful, your creativity is going to change you from a lazy mom to just a regular mom. Once you cross that line you can never turn back.

Amy said...

ahhh! you're killing me. seriously... I tell Hai-bug ALL the time: you can do it when you're in BIG school like Ty-Ty. yes I deny my child the privilege of learning. but man, I keep a clean closet.

cute projects.... very well done.

Papa said...

I suspect that Daisy discovered that when kids are working on projects they get in less trouble. For all you who make fun of how often I mow the lawn...I know what I'm doing.

Mindi said...

now there you go--making all of the rest of us REAL lazy moms look even worse.....

darling project i concur with the A+ !!!
ps these kids must have received their smarts from their mommy.

nana said...

Brilliant again

Anonymous said...

Good job Clayre and Parly! I love both of the projects! This expertise will come in handy for future science and history fairs. Washington D.C. here you come!

Nanny S.G.

Marty Reeder said...

Awesome projects, and what's more, some people might call Clayre's ambition nerdy, but not I. Mainly because I would incriminate myself (I seem to recall trying to do reports on the continents one summer between school).

Parley's reward will be a good grade, I'm sure. But what about Clayre? Her self-initiative should be rewarded. I submit that she should receive an encyclopdia set. Nothin' better than sitting down with a couple volumes and some time to kill.

daisy said...

Marty, Don't you remember me posting on our Reeder family blog about Clayre "reading" encyclopedias...just like her uncle. That's you, nerd boy!

JLJ said...

If you're a lazy mom, the rest of us are complete dead beats.

Amy said...

You are so clever. I found your blog through Mindi's and I think you know Kamari as well. Anyway I am their friend... I can tell you are a total reader and I love to come to your blog and see your bookshelf- I noticed you read The Thornburds...it is my most fav book EVER! My little girl is Meghan- we call her Meg or Meggie. I read it for the first time when I was pregnant with my first and planned on naming her Meg...well HE was Mitch but I never ofrgot it. A few years ago I bought the miniseries on DVD and have loved it. I was a little sad to find out Richard Chamberalin was gay...I loved him loving Rachel Ward. Anyway...way too long of a comment for my first. SOrry!

Amy said...

oops...I know that birds is spelled with an I...

Megan Andersen said...

You are as far from being lazy as I am from being tactful!

Melissa said...

Just saw your blog through Holly's. You had me when I read you had 4 girls!! Me too...yea, someone else who gets the drama. Cute names, by the way!

Abbigail said...

so cute. what good artists!