Tuesday, August 26, 2008

How to spend your Saturdays.

This weekend I got to run a 1/2 Marathon. We were up in Logan for a last minute thing and since most of my family (mom & dad, sister & brother-in-law, sister-in-law) were all doing it, it being the Top of Utah 1/2 Marathon, Shayne and I decided to join in. It was a lot of fun. Yes, running a 1/2 marathon CAN be fun, though mostly it is just good when it is over. It was during the race that I learned what shin splints are the hard way...hell. They are hell. But because of them I persevered, learned how to be mentally tough and ended up finishing strong (because they didn't hurt as much on the flat or uphill parts). 1:42 was my time. This was a personal best, so that is good. Everyone had a super race. My mom who hasn't run a 1/2 marathon in her life also persevered, she walked the last two miles with a broken foot. Well the verdict is still out on that but definitely a stress fracture. Only my mom would continue with pain like that. It made my measly shin splints seem more like a bothersome blisters. My mom is incredible. I unfortunately did not get this amazing attitude, maybe it skips a generation...which I actually hope is true...with 4 daughters...hummm. Anyways, I myself am a complainer. My mom IS NOT. I should be more like my mom.

Since so many of us were running in the race and the few of my family members that weren't, were watching all the children (that in itself worth a first place medal), we did not get pictures of the event. I will however post some from the Spudman Triathlon that a number of us did a month ago. That also was a great race. If any one is thinking of doing a triathlon (Olympic distance) this is the one to do. It is a FAST one. The mile swim is downstream. The 25 mile bike and 6 mile run are both very flat courses. It was a lot of fun. I did this race before I was married, and got a time of 2:29. 11 years and 4 kids later I got 2:32 . I didn't think I would even come close to my old time, so I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully I will feel the same way about my St. George Marathon race this year. Fingers crossed for a personal best and no hellish shin splints.

Elise (sister-in-law), Isaac(brother), Christian (brother-in-law), Sadie (sister),
Baby CJ (nephew-did not race), Steve (dad), Me

Me

Here's one from the TOU 1/2 Marathon:
(My sister Sadie just sent this to me. Thanks Sadie.)

Shayne, Maggie (did not race), Me

Me (racing to the finish)

Thanks Liz or rather her husband Jared for taking this keeper.

15 comments:

Mindi said...

you are amazing, daisy. seriously. who does these kind of things? way to make us all look bad. (as i put another hershey's nugget into my mouth. at 9:40 am.)

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you and Shayne, but especially proud of Donna! Way to go, Donna! We'll see you at the St. George marathon in October!
I've threatened lots of time to try it, but I am all talk!

Susan

sadie said...

Dais, you are awesome, but your brother Isaac is the true hero. Babysitting a five month old and a two year old and changing two diapers in one day. That's something else.

Jackie said...

You are amazing Daisy! I'm in awe! I ran three miles cold turkey this morning and I thought I was gong to die.

Liz Stanley said...

so hard core. hey what is your email? i have a sweet picture of you looking tough sprinting to the finish line of the 1/2

Heidi said...

You are such an animal. I love that last picute. You leg looks so muscular. You got such a great time! A personal best with pain. Wow. Great race. I bet it was fun to run it with so many family members.

LoGunns said...

yee ha! Sorry we couldn't make it to Angies to see you guys.

Marty Reeder said...

I thought about you as I played hide-n-go-seek early Saturday morning. This is what I thought: I'm sure glad I am hiding under a table and possibly nodding off to sleep instead of running right now. Good job everyone. Great job, Mom!

mccall... said...

Awesome!

Mandy said...

I'm so impressed! You mom is amazing...and I think you are more like her than you think! :) I can't believe you were in Logan and didn't come see me! :) We really do need to get together! :)

Brittney Sloan Anderson said...

Daisy you are so buff. 4 kids and you look amazing. Not fair. Good job on the 1/2 marathon.

nana said...

nice pictures... the foot was fun... because everyone took care of me!

Annette said...

What a great family event! I have never done a race in Logan. Now that my parents are up there I need to try one. Preferably the half and not the full marathon:)

jami v. said...

wow... way to go. i am almost postivie that, if i were visiting home, i would never think "hey. let's run a marathon. everyone else is doing it." i think i'd be the one to volunteer to play hide and seek with marty and change diapers with isaac. :) (and yes, i would agree that your mom is amazing. she's one of my all time favorite people in this whole world, and if i could adopt another mom i'm pretty sure it would be her! :) ) .... and i'm with mandy - you're more like her than you think!! :)
woot-woo and way to go on the race!!

Megan Andersen said...

Wow girl! You denfinitely put all of us girls who 'think' we are runners to shame!! Congrats on your personal best!!!