Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What does a Kia Sedona have that the Honda Odyssey doesn't? Unautomated Doors


The other day I was taking Clayre and a few of her friends to dance. After they all filed out I asked the last girl to please close the door for me. She says sure and proceeds to pull the van door handle forward and then runs off. I just sat there. How does she not know that the door does not have a mind of it's own and you have to follow through with the first step of pulling the handle and then continue to pull it all the way shut? How does she not know this? Because she has probably never actually ever pulled a door all the way shut in her whole life. She has grown up with automatic doors. In fact as I watched all the girls run in to dance class, I realized my little Clayre is the only one that knows that some doors actually don't close by themselves.

We live in a great neighborhood. If we could marry our neighborhood people would say that we married up. Yes, we are one of the very few here that don't have a 3 car garage or drive around in a Honda Odyssey. And let me just say there is nothing wrong with either of those and our neighbors and friends couldn't be nicer. That being said.... we will serve a purpose living here. We will teach all our kids friends that some doors don't close by themselves when ever they get a ride in our Kia Sedona.

6 comments:

tara said...

plus, think of the upper arm strength your girls are developing. They could WAIL on anyone that makes fun of the unautomated doors.
so there.

Holly O. said...

I was in an Odyssey last night and at 31, I can't operate the automated doors either!!!

sadie said...

What a wonderful tribute to parenthood and tender teaching moments.

You might have actually been able to have one of those if you hadn't been talking to me on your cell phone the whole time.

Erica Onelove said...

Haha!
That's so awesome. My car doors don't shut automatically either.

Emily said...

I don't thing that's a good idea. I think it'd be better for you to upgrade to an Odyssey.

LoGunns said...

I just realized you had your own blog (not just sharing with Shayne)I had never heard of that movie or those books before. but now I want to read (and watch) them.
My sister and I were thinking just last week that manual windows don't exist anymore either.
Also my daughter (3 years old) asked me "what's that" and she was pointing at a bar of soap. She wouldn't believe me. and I realized she has never used a bar of soap. only the liquid kind.