So what does No Parking actually mean? Does it mean that a vehicle can never be stopped at or around a No Parking sign? Is there a time limit? How about 1 minute or 30 seconds? Is that okay? What about if you never leave your vehicle when "parked" there? You don't even get out of the car. So obviously No Parking means No parking, but I think that it is okay to be waiting in a No Parking "zone" if you are still in your vehicle.
Soooo, why all of this talk about the definition of parking? Because the other day I had an angry old man tell me "No Parking! (pointing to a sign) You stinkin little BIT**!" Yes, he did. At least he called me little. Of course, I was in my van so I'm not sure he meant it as a compliment about my size. So, let's go back a few moments before that awesome outburst. I was picking up a couple of girls from dance and I wanted to park where I could see them come out of the door and they could see me. No need to get out of the vehicle, just a little honk and a wave over. Less work. There was a nice spot by a tree. Shade. Perfect. No Parking sign posted on the tree. I'm not getting out. So park on.
Well, I saw this car about to back out of a parking spot. I glanced and noticed that he had plenty of room to back out with a turn and head on his way even with me "parked" directly behind him (I was at least two car lengths away). He backed straight out then went forward, turned the wheel a small degree, backed straight out again, forward, turn, back straight, then forward. This was crazy! Is he serious? I watched through the corner of my eye, because I could feel his angry devil eyes on me. At first when I saw him drive back and forward once I thought about moving for him.....even though anyone, even a 10 year old could have backed out of that spot with me "parked" there....but after the second attempt, I knew he was driving like an idiot on purpose. He didn't like me parking there. And he wanted me to know it. So I sat there and laughed. He finally pulled up along side me. And spewed those delicious words. I just sat there and gave him a smile and a shrug. I wonder what more he would have done or said if his wife wasn't sitting right next to him. Ouch! I was dying, it was actually quite humorous.
So parking or no parking? Well, to tell you the truth if a cop would have been anywhere nearby I wouldn't have "stopped" there. So there you go.
15 comments:
stupid old beaver.
(that's what we call ornery old people over here. don't know why).
way to smile and wave Daisy. I would have been all rattled and pissed and nervous. Way to keep your cool.
Tara threw down a "beaver." Tara, Tara, Tara...
Daisy, you could NOT have told this story in a more humorous way. I especially like the "less work" sentence.
thanks for the kind words--they meant alot. plus you are married to shane, so that's even better.
old people can be sooooo mean. i think they forget they were ever young. my dad gets a little more crotchety every year, and i have to mess with him a little every now and then to keep him "real"
I hope you gave him an Austin Powers "Yeah Baby" cause that's what that reminds me of when Austin was escaping from Dr Evils Lair on a golf cart and realized he needed to turn around in the hallway with the similar oldman fashion. Then I think you should have flew him the bird!
I love the image of the smile and shrug. Nice one, Dais.
I am so glad I was not there because there would have been smelly old man blood all over my fists.
that's not called parking, that's called standing. if you leave your car you are parking; if you sit in your car you are standing. sounds to me like the sign said no parking and the old man needs to take this matter up with no-shower-shayne.
and daisy you aren't stinking or little.
ZING!
jared
nice, daisy. props to you and your reaction. were any of your girls in the van with you?
Just Maggie. So if she starts calling me a stinkin little bleep. We know where she got it.
Daisy...I find if you clap at people that really irks them bad.
If someone gets mad at me...I clap...they burn rubber pissed off.
Oh yeah.
Hi Daisy, how fun to hear from you! Your blog is so funny! I'm sure I'll check back often. I can't believe you have FOUR girls! They really are fun....and emotional! Your girls are darling!
Park on my friend! I had some old guy get mad at me today for merging onto that stupid lane change right before you get into old santa clara. He actually rammed on the horn and then passed me on the LEFT! in the OTHER lane just to show how mad he was! WOW. I've got to stop being late to pick up Ben from preschool!
I am so sick of angry drivers. SERIOUSLY, WHERE IS THE FIRE ?!? I was sworn and gestured at yesterday by a red faced angry woman. I like that you shrugged, I'm going to remember that one, and the clapping - that is perfect.
Giving people thumbs up is awesome too. It feels for me like I gave them the bird without any moral ramifications. And it is so sarcastic it sends a good message.
I mainly feel bad for people that let these kinds of things affect them so much that they feel the need shout out vulgarities to a young mom in a mini van full of kids. You park on girl!
Post a Comment