Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thank heaven for cold air.


The other night Maggie woke up with a croupy cough. You all know that horrid barking. Whenever Parly got the croup she always had to be rushed to the hospital. Not fun in the middle of the night. I have always found the running- the- shower- and- letting- the- hot steam- in- the room- relieve- the- croupiness method not so effective. Plus no hot water for my shower the next morning. Ugh. I HAVE found that taking the child out into cold air is the best and fastest method in relieving a croupy attack. Living here in St. George doesn't always guarantee cold air even at night, but I got lucky a couple of nights ago when Maggie got sick.

I went into her room and opened her window that is right by her bed. I bundled her up and we sat by the window breathing in the cold air. It worked great and soon Maggie was ready to go back to sleep. A few hours later she was barking again so I went in to repeat. She wasn't as excited to get up and over by the window. I told her she had to come over by the window so she could stop coughing and then she could go back to sleep. I told her to come and look at the air. I told her how great and cool it was and that the air would stop her coughing. So she came and we spent a few minutes commenting about the air and the stars and no moon. A couple more times like this and we made it through the night. No hospital visit. Not even a need to leave the room or really even get out of bed. Nice!

A couple of nights later Maggie woke up coughing. Not barking this time. So I went in to give her some cough medicine. She didn't want it. And kept spitting it out. Frustrating! I told her she HAD to take it so her coughing would stop so I ...I mean she could go back to sleep. She kept saying, "I wanna look at the air mommy." Sure. Sure. Now drink this and go back to sleep. I didn't get it until after I went back to bed. Look at the air. Oh, like we did for her croup. Funny. And smart.

12 comments:

LoGunns said...

Smart kid:) I HATED cough medicine as a kid. I suppose everyone did.
Abe use to get croup every three months. Cold air works great!

Amy said...

ugh .... I hate coughs

glad you had some cold st. george air to get through it!!!

p.s. I have been doing your vicks on the feet w/ socks routine.... that actually works wonders!!!

Kristin said...

cute little maggie. She must have gotten her smarts from you. Luckily we haven't had the croupy cough yet this season, but it always finds its way to us. I will have to remember this trick.

Christin said...

Oh I wish I would have read your post two weeks ago when Natalie had the croup. I did rush her to the ER because she couldn't breath. Horrible experience

Jackie said...

She's a smarty! We haven't had the colds and coughs too bad this season, just Crissy with a double ear infection.

jami v. said...

croup is the worst ... and it is amazing. they are smart and somehow remember EVERYTHING, even those things you wish they wouldn't! :)

sadie said...

Timely post. Unfortunately, I needed it at 2:00 this morning. Good thing I can just call you instead.

mccall... said...

poor maggie! quit trying to drug her daisy!

Brittney Sloan Anderson said...

I hate the croup. My kids get it all the time. Where was that picture taken at with Maggie??

Megan Andersen said...

Smart thinking! My daughter has a pretty bad cough right--she's gettin' air tonight!!

tara said...

dude. we've had more than our share of croup nastiness. cold air really DOES work the best, next to steroids, of course:)

maggie is a smart little thing...seriously.

Emily said...

Yay for cold air. At least there's some use for it.