Wednesday, April 4, 2007

It feels like the plague


Look close and you can see it- Maggie's first tooth.

So I think Maggie is coming down with something. In an earlier entry, I mentioned her first tooth possibly coming. It did. So that could still explain the extra fussiness, coughing, constant runny nose and loss of interest in nursing. (She's only nursing on one side at a feeding, usually both sides, which made for an awkward afternoon of running errands-then coming home and noticing my shirt was wet on one side in a perfect circle..crap!) But as much as I want it to just be the teething....I'm afraid it's not.

Where to go from here? I have so much to say about sick kids. And it seems that our family is starting to become accustomed to the drill of drinking fever medicine by the gallon, going through cases of tissues boxes, and then the magic ice water (again...mentioned in an earlier entry-so if your confused..stop..read previous entries..then start again). Going through this winter season with 4 kids has been an adventure to say the least. Especially with one in school and another in preschool. Germs I surrender!

I don't think there has been a weeks time where someone hasn't been coughing, sniffling, running a fever, or at least complaining about tummy, ear, or throat hurting. And so when one of the little brats comes down with something...I have learned it's just a matter of time before she passes it on to the rest of them..one by one. If they could just all get it at the same time...it would be a nightmare, but then I would wake up (figuratively speaking) and it would all be over.

Which goes right into my next point: If I could just know when they would be done being sick, I mean if someone said their fever will break in exactly 2 days and 48 minutes. I could handle it. It's the not-knowing (also when to just give in and take them to the doctor's-but I won't go into that now) and waiting that kills me. Oh and the whining, crying, clinginess, and constant need for attention.

Shayne thinks that during these sick fests I become a pessimist. But what he doesn't understand is that it is much easier to go to bed thinking--or just planning--on being up all night- so if I actually do get some kind of sleep, I am pleasantly surprised. That's not pessimism that's survival!

Also..why does it always seem like kids get sick at the worst possible times. I don't know if there has been a time while visiting family in Logan -that we haven't gone to the insta-care or at least thought about it. So just in time for my trip to Logan this weekend-- Maggie has come through...and is coming down with something.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Is she too young for air-bourne? :)

I know exactly what you are saying Daisy. If you could just know when it would be over, it would be bearable! It's the UNKNOWN that totally FREAKS me out.

Good luck, and have fun in LOGAN!!!

Sarah said...

Am I twisted to say that I feel lucky since the only time Ruby was ever truely sick was when she had to go to the hospital for 2 nights? I think it's bad enough when she has a stuffy nose! I think Maggie will bounce right out of this and be happy and healthy for your flight and time in Logan :) Give Sadie a congratulatory hug for me.
Sickness and the unknown are certainly God's way of trying to break the grip of us control freaks - and what better way to do that than with kids?

daisy said...

You are so right!