Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I have an 8 year-old

So Parly Sue was baptized on Saturday. It was nice. We had lots of family there and even a few of her friends came, which was fun for her. The saddest part was Parly wasn't feeling well and had thrown-up the night before and then that morning. (Story of my life, right?) Well, we got to the church early and sat down when she said she thought she might throw-up again. We ran to the bathroom and just made it. I guess it turned out to be a good thing, because then she felt better and we didn't have to worry about it when she was actually being baptized.

It was really neat to watch her walk into the baptismal font from one side and her dad walk in from the other and then meet in the middle, both of them dressed all in white. Although I have to say that my favorite part was being able to go into the dressing room afterward and help her change back into her white church dress, just the two of us. I remember my mom doing that for me. Parly was then especially excited when she saw that she beat her dad out of the dressing room.

It's so amazing to me that I now have a child that is 8 and she has been baptized. I still remember my baptism. And this makes me realize more then ever that her memory of her childhood has already started. Scary. I better be on my best behavior from now on. Right?

8 comments:

Shayne said...

The best part was after the baptism, since we were already dressed for it, Parly and I went out and offered high quality painting services.

sadie said...

Yeah, that was awesome when Parly beat Shayne out of the dressing room. Any excuses Shayne? I didn't think so.

Amy said...

I can't believe YOU HAVE AN 8 YEAR-OLD!!!!! Parly was just a baby... wasn't she? Oh wait, that's when I was pregnant with Tyler... that's right. Congrats on being baptized Parly! And... how's the painting business coming along? (haha)

Erin said...

Congrats to Parly! Such a big day!

Brooke said...

Neat post. You made my eyes get all teary.

I know what you mean about being on your best parenting behavior. I want to make my children's memories into good ones. Now I just need to figure out that spell or charm or whatever that will alter the memories they already have.

Emily said...

Congrats! I wish we could've been there. Parly looks beautiful and, what the heck, Shayne too.

Abbigail said...

that is amazing! I can't believe you have a daughter that is already 8! I really enjoyed the post. I have similar memories of my Mom.

Marty Reeder said...

Congrats, Parly. If it makes you feel any better, Bonnie and I were sick that same weekend too ... and I also painted that weekend. Hmmmm, freaky coincedences. Wait. We didn't get baptized though, so you got us there.