Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Check. Check. And Check.

A couple of weeks ago my parents, my brother Isaac and his wife Elise, my sister Sadie and her husband Christian and baby CJ came for a whirl wind of a weekend. They got here Friday night and left Sunday morning. It actually isn't that different than all the other times they come. Their trips are always short. I hope it is just because they are busy people and can only make these quick trips and not because they can't stand us another minute. But we are always happy to have them come no matter how long they stay.

Well this trip Isaac came along so we thought we should work on a few projects. He can do anything! I love to make a list of things for him to do and start checking them off. We decided to have him do something the man of the house (me) can't do, so.... he built a small wall in our shower so the water would stop hitting the baseboard and warping it. Yeah! And while he was doing that the ladies banded together to make new cushions for my kitchen benches. So nice. When we took off the old ones the cushions were so disgusting I don't even want to think of all the milk, soda, and other things that had soaked in and were stained there for years. We even put on a plastic cover so the new ones could be easily wiped off. And thank you Christian for taking over and putting them on so they actually looked good (no wrinkles or creases).

My mother bought me enough fabric to make matching cushions for my bar stools, but we didn't have enough time to make them while everyone was here. Sad. I was afraid they would never get made. But I did it and after a few calls to my other sister in California (who is the sewing queen) they turned out great! So here are a few pictures:


If you are wondering how the cushions on the stools fit so perfectly, it's because I made a pattern from the actual chair. I pulled out the tape measure and my math skills and went to town. I didn't think just eye balling it this time would work out as well, and I'm glad I went the extra step (again not like me).

12 comments:

Brooke said...

wait a minute. when are isaac and elise going to me? we'll probably need a visit about a month after we move into a new place this summer.

Jackie said...

They look great!

tara said...

daisy:

1st the valentine necklaces, now the handcrafted cushions...


i fear an intervention may be eminent.


p.s. they DO look fantastic...even to a novice like myself.

Rachel said...

Those cushions turned out great! Way to go Daisy. I laughed all the way through your Valentine post...sometimes we get in deeper than we're thinking!

Amy said...

domestic daisy.

you and all your little projects ROCK.

Unknown said...

I love them! Can you come measure my chairs? I have no math skills!

sadie said...

I thought you were going to say it, but I guess I am going to have to: you couldn't have done it without me.

Emily said...

Wow. I'm glad to take credit for the cushions, even though you did them all on your own. They look GREAT! I need some motivation now to finish a few projects.

Megan Lofgran said...

Who said you'd never use those math skills in real life? Actually I'm scared I don't remember my math skills! Yikes! It all looks great! Well done!

Megan Lofgran said...

wow! We have a lot in common bookwise. I too enjoyed Thornbirds (that were my name comes from, my mother often calls me Meggie) and Pillars of the Earth. Both fantastic epics! I'm very intrigued about These is my words. I'll have to dive into that one! I'm very curious about the man who read red tent! His perspective would be very interesting.

Marty Reeder said...

I was thinking that Isaac put up like some kind of mini-bathroom stall partition ... but did he actually build a wall section and then tile it! Now that is impressive.

Of course, had I visited then you could have got some real work done, such as have a story written about a kid who climbs trees or something.

Megan Andersen said...

Daisy, they look great! It's just the little things that make you love your home...and the location!! Oh, how miss my old neighborhood!!!