Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Baby Jane, I owe you!

So I went to Logan and had a great time. I will blog about that later. Let's talk about my trip with Maggie. As I mentioned earlier Maggie has been sick, and of course the morning Maggie and I are leaving she won't eat (nurse). I'm stressing. Shayne says just feed her on the plane. So I try on the plane. Nope. And the only time she cried was when I tried to nurse her. So we land and again I try. No...she refuses. Then my mom and sister picked us up we all went shopping. I had to hand pump because she hadn't eaten since 10:30 p.m. the night before. I was finally was able to get Maggie to eat a little around 11:30 a.m. in a dressing room stall. So we continue to shop. I try again around 3:30. Nope.

After all our shopping we headed to Layton to met Sadie's finance for dinner. Oh, and my other sister Emily with her baby Jane (3 months) arrived later in the afternoon. Now all this time Maggie was pretty good. She didn't fuss much and took naps here and there....only problem- not nursing. I tried again just before dinner. And again, no. Maggie was on a nursing strike! So by this time I am really full..I've pumped a couple of times...but those who have breastfed before know that babies are really the best at emptying. So Emily offers to let me nurse her baby, since Maggie won't. I was desperate so I did. We're all family. Let me just tell you, Jane saved me. I've had a breast infection before-not fun! I wasn't about to let one of those ruin my trip to Logan. So letting Jane nurse was just what I needed...two empty breasts.

When we got to Logan, I took Maggie to the Insta-care. Surprised? Not me...and neither was Shayne when I told him. Maggie didn't have an ear infection like I suspected, but she did have an onset of bronchitis..I knew I heard a little raspiness in her breathing...doctor's diagnoses -she was probably not wanting to nurse because it was harder for her to breathe and nurse at the same time. Made sense. So after a horrifying ordeal taking ex rays of her lungs (anyone know what I'm talking about. That contraption that looks like a 14th century torcher chamber) and a breathing treatment we were able to go home. Maggie finally ate good and went to bed around 10:00 p.m. What a day! But it was all worth it....I was in Logan!

Pictures are of Maggie getting another breathing treatment. Isn't she cute! Even when sick.

5 comments:

phyllip/shalyse said...

Sure Maggie is sick...she's totally smiling and looks so happy! She's so cute. I remember hearing someone say they nursed someone elses baby and I thought that was so strange (before I had Henry)...desperate times call for desperate measures. Glad you had fun anyway.

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad for both of you! Sweet little Maggie just keeps on smiling!

Glad you had fun and are home safe and sound. I don't think you have ever been to Logan that you haven't had to take one of the kids in. They probably know you there!
That used to happen to us when we came home for a visit wwhen our kids were small.

Brooke said...

Talk about niece/aunt bonding! I'll bet Jane's your favorite now if she wasn't already.

daisy said...

Or at least I'LL be her favorite aunt.

Anonymous said...

I think this whole business about you being full is really getting a a bad rap. There is nothing wrong with full breasts, am I right guys?......Guys?.....Fellas?..... Anyone?...... High Five!