Monday, April 2, 2007

It's here..this time..I know it!



So Maggie's first tooth is breaking through. That explains all the drooling, coughing, and crankiness. Of course I have been telling Shayne this for weeks maybe months..."I think she is teething " to explain why the change in behavior....like why she woke up from her nap early, why she is requiring more attention than just a smile from across the room, or why she is rubbing her ears, etc... this time it is really happening. I'm pretty sure.

I think I do that a lot. I'm not exactly sure what "that" is but I do it. I guess that it's coming up with reasons for why things are happening. Like the teething or why you put heat verses ice on a sore muscle, or why you really should wear shoes outside when it is cold (it's not that you will catch a cold, everyone knows that a cold is a virus...but cold body and feet keep the body busy working on warming it up, it's distracted, and so the virus has a better chance of slipping by and taking over), or how I have convinced my girls that water is magic and can help you when you are sick by : stopping the coughing, bringing a fever down, even helping you get better faster. Magic!

Then, when I tell Shayne one of my creative theories (not proven by science, yet!) he will say, "It sounds like you know what you are talking about."

I think I have gotten closer to real theories because once I even convinced a doctor:
Maggie had been sick and wasn't eating well. Any time I would get her ready to nurse she would get very upset...and it was mostly when I attempted to nurse her on a certain side. So I thought maybe she has an ear infection and that the ear that hurts was in more pain when she had to lay and nurse in that particular position. Sure enough she had an ear infection in one ear. When I told the doctor my theory, he said he had never heard of a baby refusing one side because it hurt more...but that it all made sense. Crazy! It's a little scary that I can convince a doctor of my crazy ideas.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I need an explanation for everything - so I'm always guessing as to why Ruby is acting a certain way. Too bad she is as erratic as they come! Keeps me on my toes and exhausted with coming up with explanations and theories (which usually stem from something I'm doing wrong or can't control, like teething)

daisy said...

Don't worry about it. Pretty soon you sound like you know what you're talking about. And even YOU believe it.

Lily Prusso said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Poor Maggie, but even more...poor mommy.

Brooke said...

I am always making stuff like that up. Explaining every question or glitch. And I think I'm totally convincing. And I realize I'm starting to sound like my dad.

Oh, and Ruby is the cutest name ever, Sarah!

Anonymous said...

The doctor has learned quickly what took me 10 years to learn, it is better and much easier to agree with a mother on her suspisions than fight her on it.

Like I always do with Dais.... with my wife

-Anonymous

phyllip/shalyse said...

And after the first teeth come in, and they are still fussy, you assume it's because they are STILL teething...right?!???

Marty Reeder said...

If all the teeth are in, they are completely healthy, and there's no other possible explanation you can think of, then there is always "El NiƱo." Weathermen use it all the time.

sadie said...

Mostly, I try not to think.

Amy said...

I try to convince my kids' doctor of stuff all the time. Pretty much all I get is strange looks. Good work Daisy. I might need you here in South Daka.