
So the library has become like a new best friend for me. They call me all the time now to let me know that a book I have on "hold" is now ready for pickup. Fun. It's like getting a package. I don't know which book it will be until I get there. Yes.... it is a little sad, I'm a "hold" hog. I always have 5 books on hold at a time because that is the limit. But the really sad part of this "hold-it" story is when I get a couple of books come in at the same time and I have to decide between them. It's like choosing between children. Seriously? No. But I can't read two books at once. I'm gifted, but not that gifted.
Soooo, I frequent there often. Kate and Clayre like to pick out a movie or two each time I go. No reading for them...just me...movies keep them busy while I am reading. Well they picked a VHS movie the other day, I think it was "Fly Away Home." Good movie. Clayre came home and put it into the VCR (yes, we still have one of those VCR's) and a minute later came downstairs hysterical saying that she broke the movie. I scolded her for interrupting my reading...but then told her she probably didn't break it and I would go check it out. It wasn't broken, yet. I actually broke the video trying to pry it out of the machine. I ended up having to take the VCR apart to get it out. No worries...I put it back together in working order, before Shayne could lecture me about how we are not made of money and buying a new VCR for $5 from DI wasn't in the budget this month.
But the video was still broken and could not be repaired. I didn't want to pay for a new video probably over $30 because Library's like to charge a lot for out-of-date VHS's. I thought of a better plan. AMAZON. I got online and found a "Fly Away Home" VHS for .... now brace yourself, .01, yes... 1 cent. I ended up paying just under $3 because of shipping. Nice work, Dais! And the best part is that it got here before the week was up, no need to renew. I just took the library stickers off of the old broken video and retaped them on the new one. Genius! A little devious. Yes. But dishonest? No, I'd like to call it Resourceful!
10 comments:
The library police are always watching...be aware. The whole reason I work in libraries is to escape the late fees! Plus, I look really good with a pencil in my hairbun.
i LOVE the library! just picked up New Moon there today, only had to wait two days for it. best thing we ever did was get rid of our vcr so we don't have to watch crappy, usually mostly broken vhs' from the library. now we just watch crappy dvds that skip a lot.
I am glad you think money grows on trees, we can't afford $3.08!!
Daisy's cheapness wins again!
I just got a Davis Library card today and just like you now have seven books on hold (good thing they don't have a limit here). I also walked out with Herbie Rides Again. Classic. Christian's going to love it. Thank goodness for libraries and videos.
I have been reading your blog for a week or so, since I saw you were a winner over at DesignMom. I don't know you that well in real life, even though I live just a few streets over, but you are pretty darn funny. And, I love the calls from the library too. I think he's my best friend.
Nice Dais, nothing like getting a great deal!...I just joined a book club here and we are starting "protecting the gift" this month. You should check it out. I am excited to read it (how to protect your kids). How's the training coming...it's getting close!
You are GENIUS. I had to pay over $100. for the five books Canyon tore to shreds when he was two. That's $20 a book!!! I was pissed (can I say that on this blog?).
Anyway. Great job.
Stink. Three of my books just came in (not to mention the three I already have checked out). Can I do six in four weeks? With your inspiration, Daisy, I can!
i have a hard time thinking something is dishonest when it is over-coming evil (upsurd library fees). in highschool it meant paying to get into anything i deemed unworthy of my money or couldn't afford--like the dixie college homecoming pageant. i've come a long way.
I hope you checked the video to make sure that it really wasn't some crazed porn video with a a "Fly Away Home" cover.
Post a Comment